The pharmacy megachain, Walgreens, announced on Friday the closing of 12 stores located on Puerto Rico.
The company said in a press release that the decision to close the stores was made because it was no longer feasible to reopen the locations. The company is saying that the financial and employee resources from those locations are going to be reinvested in other locations in Puerto Rico.
Walgreens has 120 stores on the island. After this decision, the retailer would remain with 108 stores.
The employees that worked on the closed locations will remain working for the company and keep their benefits as the company places them in other positions.
The chain has informed that the employees on those locations continued to receive pay and that about 120 employees who chose to move to the U.S mainland after Hurricane Maria were transferred to Walgreens stores near their new residences to maintain their employment with the company.
The locations that will be closed are:
1. 30 Ave. Rafael Cordero, Caguas, PR 00725
2. Carr. 2 KM 81.7 Bo. Carrizales, Hatillo, PR 00659
3. 1700 Carr 3, Canóvanas, PR 00729
4. Carr. 52 Las Catalinas Mall, Caguas, PR 00725
5. 1000 Ave. J. T. Pinero, Cayey, PR 00736
6. Dalia St., Carr 187, Carolina, PR 00979
7. Parque Escorial, 65 Inf., KM 54, Carolina, PR 00983
8. 1411 Ave. Ashford, San Juan, PR 00907
9. Ave. Campo Rico. Esq. Fidalgo Diaz, Carolina, PR 00983
10. Ave. Baldorioty de Castro, San Juan, PR 00913
11. Carr. 2, KM 45.8, Plz. Monte Real, Manati, PR 00674
12. Carr. #3, KM 29.1, Rio Grande, PR 00745
A version of this story in Spanish is available here