As of January 2020, this has still not been implemented, even though first claimed available in the news on December 21, 2016. No word on why not. Then again, as the marketing slogan goes, “Puerto Rico does it better.” Right?
Puerto Ricans should demand more from their government who should be making their lives easier, saving them time, not forcing them to wait in long lines, not forcing them to deal with unnecessarily cumbersome processes.
Puerto Rico Driver’s License: How to renew it online
Do you live in Puerto Rico? We show you how to renew your driver’s license online without having to make the long lines of the Driver Service Center (Cesco).
If you live in Puerto Rico and your driver’s license is about to expire, you can renew it online from the comfort of your home or office using a computer or tablet. Previously, the only way to renew the license was by visiting the nearest Driver Service Center (Cesco).
With the new process you can perform the process from the DTOP page and receive your license by traditional mail. However, not all drivers will be able to use the online renewal system. If you obtained a driver’s license through a manager or your license is in the Real-ID format , you will not be able to complete the online process and you will have to visit the Cesco.
To complete the process through the Internet, you must comply with the following requirements:
- Have a valid email address.
- Be a US citizen and be between 21 and 65 years old.
- Your license must expire between 15 and 60 days.
- Have the same name as the current driver’s license.
- Do not have unpaid traffic violations (you can pay them on the DTOP page).
- Have an updated medical certificate.
How to renew your driver’s license online
- Verify that you meet all the requirements.
- Get an updated medical certificate. If your doctor is not registered in the electronic system, you must register on the DTOP page.
- Go to the DTOP website to complete the renewal form.
- Select See more in the Online Services menu at the bottom right.
- Click on Detailed Services to enter your credentials or register for the first time. To register you will need your license number, the last four digits of the social security and your personal information. The registration process may be delayed, since you must wait for an identification number to be assigned to access the system.
- Once you enter the system, you can fill out the corresponding form with your basic information. You will also have to enter the category of the license you want to renew and verify that you are a US citizen.
- The system will also verify if you have fines for traffic infractions, outstanding debts with the Administration for the Support of Minors (ASUME) or the Automobile Accident Compensation Administration (ACAA).
- Pay US $ 11 for the renewal process and wait for your license to arrive.
Once you finish the process online, you can check the status of the renewal from this same portal. Your license will arrive by mail between seven and 15 days.
Remember, if your driver’s license is in the Real-ID format , you will have to go to the nearest Cesco to renew it and update the photo. You will not be able to use the system either if you are processing the license for the first time. For these cases you must visit the nearest Cesco.